Job Reference Number: UOS021812
Job Title: Post-doctoral Research Associate in Nanoscale Device Fabrication
Contract Type: Fixed term for 24 months
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Department: Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Sheffield, Hicks Building, Sheffield S3 7RH, UK
Salary: Grade 7 - £31,302 – £39,609 per annum
Closing date: 17 April 2019
The Department of Physics and Astronomy has active research programmes in soft matter physics, semiconductor physics, astrophysics, high-energy particle physics and biological physics. All of these groups contribute to a dynamic research environment.
We are seeking to appoint a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in nanoscale device fabrication. The post arises as part of a large EPSRC grant portfolio held by the semiconductor physics group at the University of Sheffield (https://ldsd.group.shef.ac.uk).
The focus of the post will be the fabrication of photonic nanostructures based on GaAs, GaN and 2D materials to enable novel nonlinear and quantum optics polariton research. The post will provide the appointee with the opportunity to participate in research projects at the cutting edge of fabrication, photonics and solid state physics, and will place the successful candidate in a favourable position for future careers in academia or industry. There will also be opportunities to participate in associated nonlinear and quantum optics experiments with the semiconductor photonic devices.
You are likely to hold a PhD in a relevant area of solid state physics/device-physics or materials science and engineering. Prior clean room experience is desirable but not essential.
· Fabrication of nanoscale device structures, within the extensive clean rooms at the University of Sheffield, housed adjacent to the National Epitaxy Facility at Sheffield.
· Techniques involved will include 10 nm resolution electron beam lithography, wet and dry etching, evaporation, plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition and sputtering. .
· As time progresses, design structures, including by the use of electromagnetic simulation packages.
· Liaise closely with other post-doctoral workers and PhD students within the Physics and Astronomy Department carrying out optical studies of the nanostructures produced.
· Participate actively in physics enabled by the nanostructures.
· Organise time to be consistent with the schedules of the device fabrication area.
· Contribute fully to regular group meetings, presenting reports of progress.
· Present work at national and international conferences.
· Train PhD students and other researchers in nano-fabrication skills.
· Any other duties, commensurate with the grade of the post, within the Department or across the Faulty of Science.
Further information and an online application form can be found on the University of Sheffield’s jobsite - Job Reference Number: UOS021812Continue reading