The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI), active in the fields of natural and built environment, economics, technological innovation, applied art, social work and healthcare, learning and education, at the Department of Innovative Technologies (DTI) in Lugano-Viganello, in particular the Institute of Systems and Technologies for Sustainable Production (ISTePS), has opened one position for a Professor in quality management systems. The position is offered full-time (100%) with a permanent employment contract. Employment start date on 1 July 2021 or on a date to be agreed.
ISTEPS is active in the innovation of manufacturing systems and processes, of products and of business processes. Applied research activities focus on the digital transformation of production systems, on industrial sustainability, on industrial robotics and on systems and technologies for laser processes and additive manufacturing. The open position wants to be a point of reference for all matters related to quality design, management and control in the manufacturing domain. Quality is intended as a continuous improvement process transversal to the various business areas and finalized to support the business towards operational excellence, as well as an instrument to improve the service level to the client through the offer of value added services. For this position, it is relevant to possess specific knowledge of process digitalization and of its double impact on quality management: both in the provision of new tools for a real-time and predictive quality management, and in changing the production approaches, with the consequent ability to develop new methodologies for ensuring high quality levels supporting the servitization process.
- She/he is a researcher in the manufacturing domain on the matters of innovative approaches to quality management, operational excellence and servitization, she/he is able to analyze and understand the business needs, to model the problem to be solved, and to develop innovative approaches and solutions. From the academic point of view, she/he contributes in a relevant and continuous way to the scientific publications in the aforementioned areas.
- In this context, she/he is project leader and/or coordinator of projects, which she/he also acquires for strategic purposes and coordinates on an institutional, departmental and interdepartmental scale.
- She/he is active in teaching, where she/he provides a significant contribution in basic training (also at Master level) with a strong role in monitoring the process that regulates the training offer.
- She/he is active in the national and international scientific and academic community.
- She/he is active in the management of teaching activities.
- She/he contributes to the scientific and didactic training of her/his research group in her/his area of expertise.
- The successful applicant is able to foster the scientific growth of her/his research team, taking care of the development of their skills and the quality of their work, both in research and in teaching activities.
- She/he promotes the collaboration among lecturers and researchers in her/his area of competence.
- She/he manages and co-ordinates the financial and administrative management of her/his research projects.
- In the research area of the call, she/he takes care of and promotes collaborations at national and international level.
- In the research area of the call, her/his activity is acknowledged through prizes and participation in international conference program committees.
- Qualification required: PhD in management engineering.
- At least 10 years of experience as a researcher and lecturer in the technical-scientific area covered by the call.
- As a lecturer, she/he is required to have held university courses, with positive evaluation, with direct responsibility of the program, teaching material, and evaluation of the students.
- As a researcher in the area of the call, she/he should have been responsible of scientific projects (industrial, EU, CTI / Innosuisse, FNS, etc.) and have relevant scientific results in terms of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals and international conferences, innovative artefacts including innovative solutions subject to evaluation by a third party - to be attached to the application.
- Proven ability to acquire research projects financed by third parties (industrial, Innosuisse, EU, etc.), as well as managing research projects from a financial and technical-scientific point of view, including management of the work team and relations with the customers.
- Proven ability to be leader in the scientific area of the call both in terms of research, through the responsibility of a research team also from a management point of view, and in terms of training as a distinguished professor in her/his area.
- Proven ability to create bridges and synergies between her/his research and teaching activities.
- Proven recognition at national and international level as a reference person for her/his scientific area.
- Linguistic portfolio: excellent knowledge of Italian (or willingness to learn it) and English.
- Experience as thesis supervisor (Bachelor, Master, Doctorate) or university student tutor.
- Production of teaching material such as lecture notes (in various forms), books, publications.
- Responsibility roles in teaching as responsible of degrees, modules, training courses, etc.
- Responsibility roles in research such as head of institution, center of expertise, laboratory, area, service, etc.
- Teaching qualification, already obtained or in progress (qualification in the year following the appointment).
- A prestigious position in an internationally recognized University of Applied Sciences.
- Stimulating teaching and applied research activities, with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, in a highly innovative and dynamic university environment.
- A team of motivated colleagues with a great deal of experience and competence.
- Possibility to grow within the institution by covering roles of increasing responsibility.
The requirements for this position are published within the "Direttive interne SUPSI" and within "Regolamento del personale SUPSI" on this website.
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter in Italian or English.
- Curriculum vitae with publications list in Italian or English.
- List of scientific publications and exemplary works and links or copies of the aforementioned works.
- Educational diplomas and work certificates.
- Awards and mentions.
- Two reference letters that prove the professional, scientific and teaching quality.
- Presentation of the didactic activities carried out at university level with relative evaluations.
- A criminal record with a 6-month validity must be provided. Taking into account the time necessary for the issuing of this document by the competent office, it will be sufficient to enclose with the application a copy of the request accompanied by a self-declaration and send the original document (to firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, or, at the latest, during the first selection interview. For Swiss citizens and Swiss residents, the court records can be requested at the Federal Office of Justice in Bern, www.casellario.admin.ch.
For further information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Emanuele Carpanzano
Applications will be considered only if submitted electronically by March 31st, 2021 using the appropriate form.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.