Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Electromechanics in the Faculty of Applied Engineering has the following full-time vacancy: tenured senior academic staff in the field of the design and optimisation of electrical energy systems.
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the areas of electrical engineering, electrical power distribution and electrical machines.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. The courses you will teach, are part of the electrical engineering curriculum, spread over the Bachelor and Master of Electromechanical Engineering Technology. (Your course units may include 2-Electricity, 3-Electrotechnical systems: transformers, 4- Electrotechnical systems: electrical motors.).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the design and optimisation of electrical energy systems. Depending on your expertise, your research may contribute to one of the following scientific challenges: integration of renewable energy sources into the electric grid, sustainable electric power generation or optimal conversion of electric power in electric machines,…
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- Your research fits into the profile and vision of the research group CoSys-Lab (cosys.uantwerpen.be) with a focus on co-design of cyber-physical systems. This include signal processing, model based systems engineering and optimisation.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You valorise your research.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy at the level of the department and faculty.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in applied engineering, engineering, science or equivalent.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You have established an excellent research portfolio. Your publication output is of an international level and you have proven experience in setting up and carrying out research projects in your field. It is a plus if you can demonstrate that you can raise the necessary funds for your research.
- You are able to demonstrate that you can translate research results into business applications and communicate about this with companies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- The planned start date is 1 February 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Groenenborger, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 23 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please note that the interviews and trial lessons will take place on 24 September 2021.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Stijn Derammelaere (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.