As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Law is seeking to fill a vacancy in the research group Business and Law for a full-time
Research professor (TTZAPBOF) in the area of Digitalisation and taxation
The assignment consists of lecturing duties (in Dutch), scientific research and academic service to society. During a period, limited to five years (duration of the temporary appointment in tenure track), scientific research will be the main activity.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of digitalisation of the economy and taxation, for example concerning the consequences of the digitalisation of the economy and new digital business models on the characteristics of existing and new types of taxation, concerning tax challenges posed by cryptocurrencies and blockchain, or concerning the impact of digital taxation on developing countries.
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will supervise doctoral students.
- You will offer scientific services: among others you take part in the activities of Antwerp Tax Academy (www.antwerptaxacademy.be).
- You will be assigned limited lecturing duties in the aforementioned domain and supervise a limited number of master theses.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Law.
- You have a minimum of 2 year experience on Postdoctoral level at the closing date of the vacancy.
- You submit the following documents in English:
- a detailed research proposal (mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5.000 words; including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package));
- a report of your previous scientific research activities (max. 5.000 words);
- two abstracts of the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman's terms – maximum 500 words (or max. 4.000 characters).
The prior conditions are conditions of admissibility.
- You have an international academic CV, an excellent international publication profile and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research.
- You possess a strong background in Corporate Tax and International Taxation, with a specific interest in digitalisation.
- You have been successful in attracting external funding for research activities.
- You are able to engage on law in an interdisciplinary environment and to conduct interdisciplinary research.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years after your appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- a full-time position as a lecturer in a temporary appointment in tenure track for a term of five years. After this term, this position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- in case of equal qualifications, priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not automatically and unconditionally, as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2020 or soon thereafter;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 4.255,06 - € 6.272,13;
- an attractive starter package consisting of a four-year PhD project and €50 000 of consumables;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 22 March 2020. The application form must be completed, including a detailed research proposal (mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5.000 words; including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package)) and a report of your previous scientific research activities (max. 5 000 words). In addition, you add two abstracts of the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman's terms – maximum 500 words (or max. 4000 characters). All documents must be submitted in English.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Anne Van de Vijver, email@example.com.
- Further information regarding the special research status can be obtained from Dr. Tim Engels, Head of the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation Tel. +32 (0)3 265 30 12).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.