The Flemish Centre for R&D Monitoring (ECOOM) – an interuniversity consortium – is charged with developing a consistent system of R&D and Innovation (RD&I) indicators for the government of Flanders, the northern region of Belgium. ECOOM is the pre-eminent Flemish institute for the study and application of advanced bibliometric techniques in the evaluation of research, and has become a prominent research centre with international visibility. At KU Leuven, ECOOM is housed within the Faculty of Economics and Business. At the University of Antwerp, ECOOM is embedded in the Faculty of Social Sciences. The ECOOM-partners at KU Leuven and University of Antwerp are jointly recruiting a post-doctoral research fellow.
- You contribute to the conceptualization, study, and development and validation of bibliometric indicators for interdisciplinarity of research and its impact. This is part of a recently started ECOOM project on interdisciplinarity and impact of research.
- You contribute to the processing, statistical analysis and interpretation of large data sets, which can involve both citations and textual information.
- You collaborate with national and international colleagues.
- You report on the results of your research through scientific and policy-oriented publications and conference presentations.
Profile and requirements
- Candidates have a completed PhD, a strong publication record, and considerable research experience in bibliometrics or related fields (like data science or digital humanities).
- Candidates have knowledge of quantitative data processing, bibliometric and statistical methods, and skills in data science (e.g., Python, R) and information retrieval (relational databases, the most important bibliometric databases).
- Candidates have the skills necessary to work with the bibliographic databases as well as with indicators drawn from these databases.
- Knowledge and practical skills are also expected in computer science, particularly, in the field of data and text mining, network analysis and visualisation techniques.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- A fulltime position with a 50/50 appointment at KU Leuven and University of Antwerp for a term of two years with flexible starting date.
- A stimulating, internationally oriented research environment.
- The salary will be determined in accordance with the legal salary grade systems existing at KU Leuven and the University of Antwerp.
How to apply?
- Application may only be submitted online, until the closing date 31 January 2020.
- The search committee will make a first selection based on the applications and will hold interviews with selected applicants in the week of 17 February 2020. Applicants selected for the interviews will be individually notified.
- More information about the online application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For more information about the postdoc positions, please contact prof. dr. Wolfgang Glänzel and dr. Raf Guns simultaneously (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com).
- More information on ECOOM can be found at the institutional website www.ecoom.be.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.