A position is available for a strongly motivated postdoc in the Centre for Molecular and Vascular Biology in the Cardiovascular Sciences department at KU Leuven, Belgium. The main focus of the lab is on vascular biology, with a focus on vascular remodelling, both in physiolocal and pathological adaptation. Project Mechanical signals, such as those arising from blood flow, are essential for normal endothelial cell physiology. One of the important pathways activated by such forces is the Alk1-Endoglin pathway. Improper activation of this pathway leads to arteriovenous malformations (AVMs). This pathway normally signals through the transcription factor SMAD1/5/9, however, but it can also signal through non-SMAD pathways. This project will look at what controls SMAD versus non-SMAD mechanotransduction after flow induced ALK1-ENG activation and the various outcomes that arise depending on the pathways activated. This will be related to formation of AVMs.
• You will have your own dedicated research project studying mechanotransduction and SMAD signalling.
• You will be responsible for administration and execution of the project. You are expected to have strong molecular biology and cell culture skills. A background in mechanobiology is an asset but you can also learn this within the group.
• The project involves mostly in vitro cell culture work, but may also involve some validation in animal models and possily in embryonic models.
• You will be expected to present the work at conferences, lab meeting, and departmental meetings.
• The candidate must have a PhD in a relevant discipline (Molecular Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Physiology).
• Candidates must have experience in molecular biology including techniques such as Western Blotting. Experience in vascular biology and/or mechanotransduction is a benefit.
• Strong interest in pursuing a career in research.
• A good publication record, with at least one paper in a higher-impact journal.
• The candidate must be a highly motivated, enthusiastic and efficient researcher.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Elizabeth Jones, tel.: +32 16 32 24 44, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for this job no later than April 15, 2021 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.Continue reading
|Title||Postdoctoral Position in ALK1-ENG-SMAD Mechanotransduction|
|Job location||Oude Markt 13, 3000 Leuven|
|Published||March 1, 2021|
|Application deadline||April 15, 2021|
|Job types||Postdoc  |
|Fields||Physiology,   Biomedicine,   Molecular Biology,   Cardiology,   Cell Biology,   Vascular Medicine  |