The Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL), situated in Grenoble, France, is Europe's leading research facility for fundamental research using neutrons. The ILL operates the brightest neutron source in the world, reliably delivering intense neutron beams to 40 unique scientific instruments. Every year, the Institute hosts over 2000 visits by scientists, who come to carry out world-class research in condensed matter physics, crystallography, soft matter, biology, chemistry and fundamental physics. Funded primarily by its three founder members: France, Germany and the United Kingdom, the ILL has also signed scientific collaboration agreements with 11 other countries.
The Science Division currently has a vacancy for a : Post-Doctoral fellow in Data Science
You will be part of the Scientific Computing group, whose role is to participate in the development of a seamless, institute-wide data infrastructure for the acquisition, reduction and analysis of experimental data, with the aim of optimising the production of scientific results and experiment measuring times.
You will work in the framework of the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) project, which aims to provide European researchers, innovators, companies and citizens with a federated and open multi-disciplinary environment where they can publish, find and re-use data, tools and services for research, innovation and educational purposes (for more information about the project go to: https://eosc-portal.eu).
As a post-doctoral fellow, your main mission will be to:
- Understand the tools currently developed for the EOSC project in the framework of the PaNOSC and ExPaNDS EU programs, and to explore their use to make the data collected at SANS and SAXS instruments FAIR.
- Collaborate with instrument scientists at neutron and synchrotron facilities in order to define the most appropriate workflows to reduce and analyze SANS/SAXS data, in particular in the field of biophysics, and create automatic pipelines to perform them.
- Provide Jupyter notebooks allowing an easy access to standard reduction and analysis software for non expert users.
- Explore the possible integration with Machine Learning methods to automatize the data analysis and model selection.
Qualifications and experience:
- PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or a related discipline.
- Proven experience in the development of scientific software.
- Good knowledge of modern object oriented programming languages. Proficiency in Python is essential. A good knowledge of C++ will be appreciated.
- Good knowledge of software development process, best practices and tools: version control, build systems, continuous integration, testing, debugging, profiling, etc.
- Excellent technical, analytical, problem solving, team playing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of scattering techniques (particularly of SANS or SAXS) appreciated.
- Some knowledge of AI/ML/DL would be a plus.
As an international research centre, we are particularly keen to ensure that we also attract applicants from outside France. You must have a sound knowledge of English and be willing to learn French (a language course will be paid for by the ILL). Knowledge of German would be an advantage.
Post based in Grenoble and subject to administrative screening.
Post-doctoral contract of 18 months, renewable for a further 3-month period. Only candidates holding a PhD obtained less than 2 years ago are eligible for post-doctoral positions at ILL.
Medical fitness for work under ionising radiation is required.
Further information can be obtained by contacting the Head of the Scientific Computing Group: Dr Paolo Mutti, tel.: +33 (0)476207223, email: firstname.lastname@example.org(please do not send your application to this address).
Generous company benefits (expatriation allowance), relocation assistance and language courses may be offered (for more information, please consult our employment conditions).
How to apply:
Please submit your application online with a list of publications and the names of 3 referees, including one from your present work place, no later than 10.10.2021, via our website: www.ill.eu/careers (vacancy reference: 21/40).Continue reading
|Title||Post-Doctoral fellow in Data Science|
|Job location||71 avenue des Martyrs, 38000 GRENOBLE|
|Published||September 15, 2021|
|Application deadline||October 10, 2021|
|Job types||Postdoc  |
|Fields||Materials Chemistry,   Data Structures,   Databases,   Programming Languages,   Materials Physics  |