Last application date Sep 30, 2020 23:59
Department LA21 - Department of Plants and Crops
Employment category Research staff group 1
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master degree in Bioscience Engineering, Biology, Engineering, or an equivalent relevant degree. Students who will graduate in September 2020 can also apply for this position.
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy Type Research staff
SpaceBakery: Closed ecological plant cultivation system and bakery for extended stays on planet Mars and their applications for planet Earth (a large 2.5-years research project) https://www.ugent.be/bw/nl/actueel/nieuws/belgisch-brood-mars-space-bakery.htm The full project focusses on bringing the entire production cycle of bread to Mars. Our contribution will focus on monitoring and optimising the growth, development, and ecophysiology of wheat, grown under controlled conditions, useful not only in space, but also for applications on earth, such as urban vertical farming.
- Planning and conducting well-designed experiments to study the dynamic interaction between wheat and climate (LED light, temperature, relative humidity, CO2, irrigation) in controlled cultivation systems to optimize yield and quality.
- Measuring the growth, development and ecophysiology of wheat using innovative plant sensors and manual measurements (e.g., plant structure, photosynthesis, respiration, nitrogen content, water status).
- Testing and fine-tuning the applicability of novel plant sensors on wheat.
- Follow-up, analysis and interpretation of large datasets. - Synthesis of research results in internal project reports.
- Present results during national or international conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Participation in a collaborative, interdisciplinary consortium, with highly motivated researchers and companies.
- The candidate will work at the Laboratory of Plant Ecology (Department of Plants and Crops, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University) under the supervision of Prof. Kathy Steppe. The project is at the core of the lab’s mission: http://www.plantecology.ugent.be
- Data will be collected in climate rooms (UGent) and in the closed cultivation systems of Puratos (Groot-Bijgaarden) and Urban Crop Solutions (Waregem).
Tentative starting date: September 2020.
Profile of the candidate
- Highly motivated to conduct scientific research.
- Strong affinity with plants, and a large interest in plant monitoring, climate control and/or vertical farming.
- Technical skills to operate sensors and measurement equipment.
- Analytical mindset to handle large datasets. - Organizational skills, and problem-solving, result-oriented attitude.
- Excellent communication skills in English – both orally and written.
- A team player who can work independently and has good communication skills.
- Driver’s license category B.
How to apply
- The application has to be submitted electronically (in a single pdf-file) to kathy.steppe@UGent.be
- Include a motivation letter and your CV, and if possible, an overview of study results.
- Submit your application as soon as possible, as a decision may be taken before 30 September (deadline).
- For more information about the project, contact Prof. Dr. ir. Kathy Steppe (kathy.steppe@UGent.be).