→ Apply until 28/07/2020 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
→ Department LW22 - Translation, Interpreting and Communication
→ AAP temporary appointment - 100%
→ Number of openings: 1
→ Reference number: 202004/LW22/AS/004
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department.
- You will supervise BA theses.
- You will assist in the teaching activities at the department, specifically the following courses: Nederlands: taalpraktijk, Nederlands: schrijfvaardigheid, Nederlands: tekst en genre.
- At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation. Your research is embedded in one of the department’s research units (EQTIS, LT3, TRACE of MULTIPLES).
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a degree of Master in Translation, Interpreting or Multilingual communication, in Languages and Literatures or an equivalent Master, with a strong focus on Dutch. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have excellent teaching and communication skills, you are flexible and a team player.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training sessions, conferences, etc. is considered an asset.
- You are highly proficient in speaking and writing Standard Dutch.
- You have a keen interest in academic and/or project-based research and services.
- You have preferably written an MA thesis about a subject in Dutch language studies or one of the areas of applied linguistics.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Your appointment will start on 1 November 2020 at the earliest.
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was positively evaluated. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your study results, including a short summary of your BA and MA theses (and the grades you received), as well as a digital copy of your MA thesis (all merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Gert De Sutter (email@example.com).