Ghent University is seeking an entrepreneurial and dynamic staff member to facilitate the value creation based on our research in the field of cell and tissue therapy.
For its liaison with industry, UGent uses a network of specialized business development centers, funded by the Industrial Research Fund (IOF), and backed by a central Technology Transfer Office. In this way, UGent is committed to stimulating the commercialization of innovative knowledge and technology.
The business development centers group complementary research departments by application domain or research expertise. Key technology transfer activities include industrial collaboration programs, IP licensing and spin-off creation.
Advanced Cell and Tissue Therapy (ACT-T)
The Act-T Business Development Center wants to compile the existing, fragmented expertise in cell and tissue therapy in various domains into one expertise center with a focus on clinical proof-of-concept, clinical validation, clinical studies and regulatory approval.
The ultimate goal of this collaboration is to market these high-tech personalized cell and tissue treatments, making them more accessible, available and affordable for patients and society. To this end, the existing GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) accredited research facility will be optimized, while a production facility will be established in the medium term. In this context, cooperation with companies is also of paramount importance. Coordinator of this center is Prof. Eric Mortier, CEO of UZGent, in close collaboration with Prof. Catherine Van Der Straeten (head of department of HIRUZ, Health Innovation and Research UZGent).
Your most important tasks consist of:
- Identifying new technologies and commercializing innovative research results within the ACT-T business development center. This involves making R&D deals, licensing agreements or facilitating the establishment of spin-offs;
- Setting up (research) collaborations with industry and supporting and monitoring industrial research programs (e.g. via Flanders Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VLAIO), the EU, etc.);
- Identifying, consolidating and following up strategic partnerships with economically relevant players in the market that have added value for the consortium;
- Creating value by stimulating and supporting internal partnerships within the business unit aimed at developing new technology platforms;
- Stimulating and supervising technology development and valorization (IP, industrial proof-of-concept, marketing, etc.);
- The internal organization of the business unit in close collaboration with the coordinator (vision, strategy, project and financial management, …);
- Profiling the consortium at national and international level with companies and governments, through seminars, workshops, website, events, etc., with the aim of developing partnerships.
- You have a sound scientific knowledge of immunotherapy, cell and tissue engineering and their potential applications.
- You hold a doctoral degree or have relevant work experience in the life science domain;
- You have 3-5 years of relevant industrially-oriented work experience, with respect to at least two of the following aspects:
- research and technology transfer in general;
- intellectual property rights and marketing thereof by concluding licenses;business development in a business-to-business environment or academy-to-business environment;
- R&D and project management;
- establishing multi-partner consortia in the framework of industrial research programs (European, regional, …);
- the establishment of spin-offs.
- Experience or training in the following elements is an asset:
- experience in project management and the contractual aspects of research projects and research transfer projects;
- experience in marketing, prospecting for new partners, conducting PR and developing professional networks;
- experience in establishing and coordinating cross-domain and multidisciplinary structures
- experience in setting up strategic partnerships.
- You have an affinity with both the academic and business sectors and can deal expertly with projects independently and as part of a team while ensuring timely delivery;
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, are diplomatic and work in a result- and service-oriented manner;
- You have strong communication skills and you are representative and flexible;
- You have built up a (international) network in the field.
This position involves a contractual appointment of indefinite duration. We offer you solid career prospects in the context of a stimulating employment status, which will largely depend on your knowledge and experience.
- information about the Industrial Research Fund: www.ugent.be/iof
- coördinator Industrial Research Fund: Ingrid.Merchiers@ugent.be or 09/264.99.51.
Please submit your application letter with detailed resume by no later than 16 December 2019. This letter must be sent to the Chairman of the IOF Council, Prof. Freddy Haesebrouck via Ingrid.Merchiers@ugent.be. The job interviews will take place on January 7 (between 9:30 and 12:30).
- State-of-the-art GMP units UZ GENT: development and financial support
- Transition from RESEARCH GMP-I unit to PRODUCTION GMP-II unit
- CO-HOUSING with industrial partners in new hospital: HEALTH CARE CENTER of the future
- Collaboration O&O and service academia/industry/hospitals → clinical validation & use
Prof. Dr. Eric Mortier, CEO UZ Gent
- Prof. Dr. C Van Der Straeten, HIRUZ
- Prof. Dr. L Vandekerkchove, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. K Vermaelen, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. B Vandekerkchove, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. P Blondeel, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. P Dubruel, Faculty of Sciences
- Prof. Dr. T Kerre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. F Offner, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. S Rottey, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. B De Wilde, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. G Leclercq, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. S Van Vlierberghe, Faculty of Sciences
- Prof. Dr. J Victor, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. J Van Hengel, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Prof. Dr. B De Moerloose, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Research domains and technology