We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Vision, Automation & Control in Vienna invites for applications for a
PhD Thesis “Online Path Generation of Robotic Inspection Tasks via Reinforcement Learning”
- Our AIT-PhD Programme, conducted in cooperation with national or international universities, offers you the opportunity to write your PhD thesis in collaboration with our highly specialized researchers and our national and international partners from the industrial and robotic industry or other research organizations. At AIT you have the chance to become an expert in your field and make a positive impact on several industrial applications around the world. We are proud to make a difference together!
- During this PhD project, you will be supervised by Univ.-Prof. Dr.techn. Andreas Kugi, Head of the Automation and Control Institute (ACIN) and full professor for complex dynamical systems at Technische Universität Wien, Austria and by scientists and engineers of the Center and you will interact with experts in the industrial and machinery domain.
- You will be part of a multidisciplinary team with a research focus on high-performance embedded vision systems, computational imaging, machine learning and robotics.
- A main challenge in quality surface inspection is the variety of objects and surface appearance, textures, and shapes. In this context, automatic anomaly detection is difficult because detailed domain-specific knowledge about typical failure cases is necessary.
- In this PhD project, you will investigate how computational imaging and path planning can be combined to improve robot-based inspection tasks.
- You will focus your research on exploring innovative path planning algorithms.
- You will design machine learning models (e.g. reinforcement learning) that include intermediate layers of abstraction with semantic descriptions of the components.
- You will combine methods from robotics and vision to develop novel inspection applications.
- You will develop an AI system that can learn from an experienced human quality manager where and how to check critical parts and anomalies.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
- You will publish your research results at conferences and in international journals.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Master studies in the field of electrical engineering, mechatronics, physics, computer science or similar
- Excellent programming skills (C++, Python, Matlab or other languages)
- Experience with machine learning applications (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow), motion planning (e.g. A*, RRT) and image-processing (e.g. stereo matching, light field, OpenCV) would be an advantage.
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Excellent knowledge of English in word and writing is mandatory
What to expect:
EUR 41.601 gross per year. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework program. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
Tomorrow today – with you?
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates via https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/152867