The Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering and Physical Science (FEPS), University of Surrey is calling for PhD applications for a number of PhD study opportunities including special scholarships for Chinese applicants who will apply to the China Scholarship Council (CSC, 中国国家留学基金管理委员会) by 5 April 2017. Most of our current funding opportunities have an application deadline in March 2017, but some with a later deadline will be posted in future.
More information of the funding opportunities can be found here. Please note that people with a good bachelor degree only may be eligible for our PhD funding opportunities as well!
Contact our departmental PhD Admissions Tutor Dr Shujun Li if you have any queries regarding the PhD funding opportunities and how to apply for them.
University of Surrey is one of Top 10 universities in the UK according to all major national league tables, and is very keen to promote research collaborations between the University of Surrey and China. Surrey's research in Computer Science has been ranked World Top 150 according to the Shanghai Jiao Tong University's Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) consistently since 2012. See http://www.surrey.ac.uk/department-computer-science/about-us/rankings-and-reputation for more details about world and national rankings of Surrey's research in Computer Science.
The University of Surrey continuously strives to be an attractive employer. We acknowledge, understand and embrace diversity.
WHAT OPPORTUNITIES DO WE OFFER?
Fully-funded PhD studentships with named supervisors and topics: The Department of Computer Science is currently advertising a number of fully funded PhD studentships for UK/EU students. More such funded PhD studentship may come in future and will be added to the following list. For such studentships, please contact the named supervisors for how to proceed with your application.
- PhD Student Position inModelling and Verification of Distributed Ledger Technologies(UK citizens only): supervised by Prof Steve Schneider (principal supervisor) and Dr David Williams (secondary supervisor). Application deadline: 31 March 2017. Expected start date of PhD study: no later than October 2017.
- PhD Student Position inAttribute-Based Signatures for Privacy in V2X Authentication (UK citizens only): co-supervised by Dr Mark Manulis (principal supervisor) and Dr Athanasios Giannetsos (secondary supervisor). Application deadline: 31 March 2017. Expected start date of PhD study: no later than October 2017.
- One more fully-funded PhD studentship in Cyber Security (principal supervisor: Dr François Dupressoir) and another one in Deep Learning in Mass Spectrometry Imaging (principal supervisor: Prof Yaochu Jin) will be released here soon with more details.
- One or two more fully-funded PhD studentship will be announced soon for an earliest start in October 2017. Please visit this page more frequently for more information.
- If you are from overseas and want to apply for the above studentships, you will need to also secure funding to cover the tuition fees difference (which is around £14,000 p.a.). The University of Surrey's ORS scholarships (see more details on "Apply here" page) are one funding source and you should also seek external funding from other sources.
There are also faculty-level competitive PhD scholarships for UK/EU and overseas students, and Chinese applicants who will apply to China Scholarship Council (CSC). See more details on the "Apply Here" page.
Application deadlines: 7 March 2017 (Batch 1) / 15 March 2017 (Batch 2, late applications that MAY still be considered)